Internships with Common Cause NC
a first-hand look at democracy in action
Common Cause North Carolina is now accepting applications for summer 2017 internships!
We are a statewide nonpartisan public interest organization advocating for more open, honest and accountable government. We work with both political parties seeking to promote reforms in campaign, election, lobbying and redistricting laws.
Goal: to provide interns with experience in nonprofit, public-policy advocacy
The internship will
• enhance research, writing and oral communication skills
• provide a deeper understanding of how public-policy reforms can improve democracy
and positively impact the lives of citizens.
• build connections with other organizations that may prove helpful in an intern's career
• assist in research and production of public-policy proposals
• help monitor legislative meetings when scheduled
• provide support for Common Cause public events
• assist with social- and traditional-media outreach
• provide support to our college civic engagement outreach project and activities
• enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking program
• preferred concentration in political science, public policy or relevant fields
• new-media skills to help with CCNC Facebook, Twitter and YouTube presence
• writing skills to help in producing opinion editorials and press releases
• research skills to assist in producing public-policy proposals
• basic understanding of North Carolina legislative system is helpful
• Interns work with us in our office near the Legislative Building in downtown Raleigh.
• Interns work a minimum 12 to 15 hour week schedule that is mutually agreed upon.
• Interns are required to dress appropriately for assignments at the Legislature and
other meetings outside the office.
• Common Cause North Carolina has experience working with colleges and universities to provide internship credit for students.
• 3 to 6 credit hours possible depending upon work schedule
Attach your resume in an email addressed to Bob Phillips at containing "Internship" as the subject line.
Eligible intern candidates will be contacted to arrange a one-on-one interview with the program coordinator.